By Brandy Alexander
One underground shelter ready for delivery.
If you are at all concerned with the purported coming apocalypse or just in need of a secret hideaway, perhaps a secret underground lair is what you need. Although at first it may seem like a daunting task, it may be easier than you think to make your own underground secret shelter. Once constructed, don’t forget to stock it with all the amenities you would like as well as the creature comforts to which you have become accustomed.
1. Locate and acquire a steel sea shipping container. These generally come in 20 or 40 foot lengths and measure 8 feet wide, by 8 feet tall. They are very sturdily built and can be placed underground, just below the surface with little preparation.
2. Excavate a suitably sized trench to place the sea container. This should be at least 9 feet wide and deep, and a few feet longer than the length of your chosen container.
3. Pull the container into the trench with the excavator. It would be advisable to weld or otherwise permanently seal the doors on the end on the container to prevent moisture from entering the container.
4. Cut a 40 inch diameter hole through the top of your container at the location you choose for the entrance. Using a large angle grinder mark and remove this circle to allow access to the container from above.
5. Lower down and mount your drainage tube over the hole. Secure in place to the surface of the shipping container with concrete, sealing the drainage pipe and shipping container together.
6. Back fill the trench, covering and hiding the sea container from view. You will need to dispose of the remaining earth excavated from the hole the container now occupies.
7. Select and mount a door to cover the opening to your secret underground shelter, which should also incorporate a rope ladder to allow safe access into the shelter. Furnish the shelter with objects required to make your stay in the shelter more comfortable. These should include food and water, as well as basic plumbing to allow for hygiene requirements to be met.
If your interested in a container for a project like this or something similar, contact AZ Containers at 877-292-6937 to see how the most basic steel box to a customized, climate controlled storage or workspace with windows, they’ll have your solution on it’s way to you fast.
We aim to provide our customers with a personal, fast and efficient service, which will offer a hassle free solution to any storage problem. More importantly, there are no hidden costs when purchasing or leasing storage containers from us.